How to get rid of osteoporosis? Traditional Chinese medicine recommends following three major strategies: daily calcium supplementation and retention of calcium in the body, consistent effective exercise, and adequate nutrition. (Illustration by the Medical Heart Transmission Production Team)
Continuing from the previous article:[Medical Heart Transmission]Bone pinosis requires more than just 4 prescriptions of calcium supplementation to treat the root cause and prevent fractures
As the elderly population increases and life expectancy increases, osteoporosis and fracture complications are on the rise. If you want to get rid of osteoporosis, you can follow three major strategies: daily calcium supplementation and retention of calcium in the body, consistent effective exercise, and adequate nutrition. Here are some exercise tips suitable for doing at home, as well as high-quality bone-building recipes.
Three strategies for preventing osteoporosis and maintaining health
Strategy 1. Live a regular life to delay osteoporosis
1. Increase calcium intake
Bone metabolism requires dietary supplements. A balanced diet can provide more nutrients needed for bone metabolism and delay osteoporosis. Milk, beans, lean meat, dried fish, dried shrimps, black sesame paste, walnuts, eggs, seaweed, kelp, mushrooms, etc. all contain a lot of calcium and can be eaten regularly. Also be careful not to oversalt the food.
In addition to meals, you should also get moderate exposure to the sun. Exposure to the sun can promote the conversion of skin into “active vitamin D” to increase intestinal absorption of calcium and phosphorus, promote bone formation, and prevent and treat osteoporosis. Generally, human skin only needs to be exposed to the sun for 10 to 15 minutes, 3 to 4 times a week, to obtain sufficient vitamin D to help absorb calcium in the body.
2. Reduce calcium loss
Smoking and drinking can affect the metabolism of calcium and vitamin D, the metabolism of bone cells and the formation of bone peaks; excessive caffeine (tea, coffee) can increase urinary calcium excretion and affect the body’s absorption of calcium; carbonated drinks can prevent Calcium absorption; excessive salt and excess protein will also increase calcium loss. Therefore, you should try your best to quit smoking, limit alcohol consumption, and reduce the intake of coffee, strong tea, and carbonated drinks.
In addition, acidic body constitution is an important cause of calcium loss and osteoporosis. Frequent staying up late and excessive psychological stress can easily aggravate acidic body constitution. Developing good living habits and maintaining a good mood are also very important.
Strategy 2.Keep exercising to enhance bone strength
The mechanical stimulation of bones by muscles and gravity during exercise helps increase bone density, ensure normal growth and development of bones, and maintain bone strength. Exercise can help increase peak bone mass, reduce bone loss in postmenopausal women, increase balance and confidence in the elderly, and help prevent falls and fractures.
For detailed action demonstrations in the text below, please watch the full program:
1. Stand on tiptoes or heels
Tiptoe exercise:Hold the back of the chair with both hands, stand on tiptoes of both feet, and hold for 10 to 15 seconds until you feel soreness in the muscles behind your calf. Do this 20 to 30 times each time, preferably 100 times a day.
Tiptoe exercise:Hold the back of the chair with both hands, place your heels on the ground, and raise your toes together with the soles of your feet. Hold for 10 to 15 seconds until you feel soreness in the muscles on the front of your calf. Do this 20 to 30 times each time, preferably 100 times a day.
• Keep repeating the action of “standing on tiptoes, placing heels on the ground, and raising toes”, 10 times as one round. Rest for a few seconds before continuing with the next round. Do this 10 times a day.
• When you push your heels down, you will feel a vibration in your body. It is best to let the vibration force go up along the legs, spine, and to the top of the head. Doing it 100 times a day can effectively prevent osteoporosis.
• After you are proficient in the above movements, you can practice walking forward or backward while standing on tiptoes or heels for 5 to 10 minutes a day.
2. Lower back muscle training
Five-point support method:Use the pillow, two elbows, and two heels as the supporting points to lift the waist and buttocks. The standard movement is to form an arch shape between the waist and buttocks and the bed surface.
Feiyan method:Lying prone, first lift your head, shoulders and back off the bed; then use your abdomen as support, extend your legs back and lift off the bed without bending your knees, until your shoulders, back and legs are lifted at the same time.
[Intensity]Twice a day, 5 to 10 times each time.
[Technical Requirements]The range of movement is in place, and each exercise must be maintained for at least 1 to 2 seconds. Gradually, the most important thing is persistence.
Strategy 3.Diet nourishes the kidneys and effectively prevents and treats osteoporosis
【Black sesame and walnut kernel powder】
raw material:250 grams of black sesame seeds, 250 grams of walnut kernels, and 50 grams of brown sugar.
practice:Sun-dry black sesame seeds, stir-fry them, grind them together with walnut kernels into fine powder, add brown sugar, mix well and bottle for later use.
usage:2 times a day, 25 grams each time, mixed with warm water.
effect:Nourishes kidney yin and resists osteoporosis.
According to the viscera theory of traditional Chinese medicine, kidney essence is stored in the kidneys. The reduction of kidney essence means human aging and can also lead to osteoporosis. The energy of the kidneys is divided into kidney yang and kidney yin. Insufficient kidney essence is also called “kidney yin deficiency”. Symptoms include pain in the waist and spine, weakness in the lower limbs, hot flashes and night sweats.
Studies have found that sesame seeds are rich in calcium, protein and vitamins and can improve osteoporosis in postmenopausal women. Some studies have also found that walnut extract can increase the activity of osteoblasts.
【Kelp and pork spine soup】
raw material:1000 grams of pork spine, 150 grams of kelp, appropriate amounts of ginger, green onions, pepper, MSG, and salt.
practice:Add 2000 grams of water to the pressure cooker, add the pork spine, kelp, and ginger together, bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce to low heat and simmer until mashed, and add seasonings.
usage:Eat meat and drink soup.
Efficacy: Supplement calcium and strengthen bones.
【Pork Backbone, Tofu, Shrimp and Egg Soup】
raw material:1000 grams of pork spine soup, 2 pieces of tofu, 25 grams of dried shrimps, 1 egg, appropriate amounts of ginger, onions, garlic, MSG, salt, and lard. .
practice:Crack the eggs into a small bowl, add a small amount of water and salt and mix well with chopsticks, steam until cooked and set aside; cut the tofu into small pieces; heat the oil pan, add garlic and sauté until fragrant, pour in a little lard and add pork spine soup and dried shrimps. After boiling, ladle the steamed eggs into the soup one at a time with a large spoon, add the tofu and bring to a boil. Add onions, salt and MSG and take it out of the pot.
usage:Eat in portions.
effect:Supplement calcium and strengthen bones.
- “Today’s Traditional Chinese Medicine Orthopedics” edited by Sun Shuchun and Zhu Liguo, People’s Medical Publishing House, April 2011, 1st edition
- “Traditional Chinese Medicine Clinical Diagnosis and Treatment Series for Specialized Diseases․”Clinical Diagnosis and Treatment of Specialized Diseases in Orthopedics and Traumatology with Traditional Chinese Medicine, 2nd Edition, edited by Deng Jinfeng, People’s Medical Publishing House, February 2005, 2nd Edition
- “Collection of Clinical Experience of Shi Qi in the Department of Traumatology” edited by Shi Qi/Wang Yongjun and Wu Tao, first edition of Science Press, October 2016
- The second volume of “Health Preservation Guide for Chronic Diseases” edited by Lu Chuanjian and Ding Banghan, People’s Medical Publishing House, October 2017, 1st edition
- “Chinese Folk Diet Therapy” edited by Zhang Hongcai, Science and Technology Literature Press, June 2003, 1st edition
· Medicinal supplements are not as good as dietary supplements! 2 blood-tonifying soups to help the internal organs produce blood
· Insomnia can easily lead to dementia and obesity. Five methods of traditional Chinese medicine can improve it.
· 6 must-learn sugar control methods, a complete strategy for controlling diabetes with traditional Chinese medicine
In this chaotic world, if you have a healthy mind, just watchHealth 1+1!
Editors in charge: Zhang Xiaohui, Li Fan