Since the launch of the live-action movie 101 Real Dogs in 1996, Disney has continued to adapt classic movies into live-actions, including the adaptation of Alice in Wonderland, The Sorcerer’s Apprentice, and Maleficent, an adaptation of Sleeping Beauty. Curse, Beauty and the Beast, etc., among which there are many movies with excellent box office.
As the times evolve, Disney, which advocates the concept of diversity and inclusion, changes the skin color settings of the original movies when choosing the protagonists of classic movies, causing a lot of discussion before the movies are released, such as the live-action Little Mermaid, which will be released on Disney+. After some works changed their skin color, although the reviews were mixed, the box office was unexpectedly good. The following article will sort out the controversial movies of 4 Disney live-action movie characters after the characters changed their skin color, as well as their reviews and box office.
Aladdin has a high overall score and excellent box office and critical reviews
When Disney announced the candidates for the live-action Aladdin movie in 2019, Will Smith, who played the Genie, and Princess Jasmine caused a lot of discussion because of their skin color. The skin color of the Genie played by Will Smith was not blue enough, while Naomi Scott, who played Princess Jasmine, was not blue enough. The skin color is not dark enough, but after the movie was released, it was discovered that elves also have blue skin types. Together with the complete set and musicality, the movie won unanimous praise from the audience. Aladdin has a score of 6.9 on IMDB, a Rotten Tomatoes index of 57%, an audience score of 94%, a budget of US$183 million, and a box office of US$1.05 billion, second only to The Lion King’s US$1.656 billion, Beauty and the Beast’s US$1.266 billion and Oz the Great and Powerful. $1.025 billion.
▲Aladdin caused controversy before its release due to the skin color of the cast of Genie and Princess Jasmine, but the reviews and box office were very good.
The Little Mermaid continues to be controversial. Whether it looks good or not is a matter of opinion.
When the heroine selection for The Little Mermaid was announced, there was a lot of discussion because of the differences in the setting of Ariel between Halle Bailey and Ariel in the original animation. However, apart from the difference in setting, Halle Bailey’s singing voice and the plot of the animation are almost intact. , Marissa McCarthy, who plays the villain Ursula, etc., have shifted the focus of discussion about the movie. The live-action Little Mermaid has indeed awakened the emotion of watching animation in childhood. Perhaps the heroine’s skin color has deepened the difference between the mermaid and the human prince in the original work, making the story more touching. The Little Mermaid has a score of 7.2 on IMDB, a Rotten Tomatoes index of 67%, an audience score of 94%, a budget of US$250 million, and a box office of US$568 million.
▲The Little Mermaid also had a lot of controversy before it was released because of its different settings from the original work, but it did well at the box office.
Pinocchio’s Blue Fairy’s Image Reversal
The Blue Fairy in the 1940 animated film Pinocchio is a key role in the transformation of the little puppet Pinocchio into a boy. His image is blond and white-skinned. However, due to differences in the selection of candidates in the live-action film, he will not be used in the future. There was a lot of backlash before it was released. Apart from the outdated plot, the movie has no innovation. Only Pinocchio becomes more vivid through technology, which makes the movie’s evaluation less than ideal. Pinocchio has a score of 5.1 on IMDB, a Rotten Tomatoes index of 27%, an audience score of 27%, a budget of US$150 million, and a box office of US$165 million.
▲The skin color of the Blue Fairy in Pinocchio changed drastically, and the plot was cliche, so the review was not good.
The plot and character settings of Peter Pan and Wendy are not good
Peter Pan and Wendy has many settings that are different from the original animation. In addition to the controversial skin color of Tinkerbell, many details that are not in the original work are added, such as the origin of the feud between Peter Pan and Captain Hook, which makes This movie has many morally ambiguous parts, such as Captain Hook’s hand being cut off by Peter Pan just because he wanted to leave Neverland, etc., which made the audience feel disgusted and therefore generally received poor reviews. Peter Pan and Wendy has an IMDB score of 4.4, a Rotten Tomatoes index of 64%, an audience score of 11%, a budget of US$170 million, and an unannounced box office.
▲The skin tone and hair color of Tinker Bell in Peter Pan and Wendy are different from the original work, but the poor reviews are due to the poor plot.
The quality of evaluation has nothing to do with skin color. The plot and innovation are still the most important.
Although the skin color of the candidate is not directly related to reviews and box office, if the casting is done well, for example, Emma Watson who plays Belle in Beauty and the Beast, Elfanny who plays Sleeping Beauty in Maleficent, and Elfanne who plays Sleeping Beauty in Fashionable Wicked Emma Stone, who plays Cruella in Cruella, etc., can add a lot of points to the movie if she plays a certain character in the audience’s memory. In order to emphasize the concept of diversity and inclusiveness, Disney chooses candidates who are very different from the original character settings. However, after actually watching these movies, you will find that the factors that make the audience feel good are the plot and innovation. If there is less, the movie will be good. The important factor is that even if you choose the right person, it still won’t make people look good.
▲The skin color of a candidate is not directly related to movie reviews or box office. The key is the plot and innovation.
List of Disney live-action remake movies:
- 1996 101 True Dogs: Adapted from 101 True Dogs.
- 2001 102 True Dogs: Adapted from 101 True Dogs.
- 2010 Oz: Adapted from Alice in Wonderland.
- 2010 The Sorcerer’s Apprentice: Adapted from Fantasia.
- 2014 Maleficent: Based on Sleeping Beauty.
- 2016 Cinderella: Adapted from Cinderella.
- 2016 Dancing with the Forest: Adapted from The Jungle Book.
- 2017 Strangers in Time: Based on Alice in Wonderland.
- 2018 Winnie the Pooh: Based on the Winnie the Pooh series.
- 2019 Dumbo: Based on Dumbo.
- 2019 Aladdin: Based on Aladdin.
- 2019 The Lion King: Based on The Lion King.
- 2019 Lady and the Tramp: Based on Lady and the Tramp:
- 2020 Mulan: Adapted from Mulan.
- 2021 Fashion Villain Cruella: adapted from 101 Loyal Dogs.
- 2022 Pinocchio: Based on Pinocchio.
- 2023 Peter Pan and Wendy: Based on Peter Pan.
- 2023 The Little Mermaid: Based on The Little Mermaid.
- 2024 Snow White: Based on Snow White.
- 2024 The Lion King Mufasa: Based on The Lion King.
- Lilo and Stitch: Adapted from Lilo and Stitch. (Release time to be determined)
- Moana: Based on Moana. (Release time to be determined)
- Hercules: Adapted from Hercules. (Release time to be determined)
- The Hunchback of Notre Dame: Adapted from The Hunchback of Notre Dame. (Release time to be determined)
- The Sword in the Stone: Adapted from The Sword in the Stone. (Release time to be determined)
- Fashionable Villain Cruella 2: adapted from 101 Loyal Dogs. . (Release time to be determined)
- Prince Anders:: Adapted from Aladdin. (Release time to be determined)
- Bambi: Adapted from Bambi. (Release time to be determined)
- Robin Hood: Adapted from Robin Hood. (Release time to be determined)
- The Adventures of Cat: Adapted from The Adventures of Cat. (Release time to be determined)